Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 7, 2010

BP5_Web 2.0 Tool Review

The tool this week I choose to learn more about was the Freemind concept mapping tool that Camaal Moten shared with us in this week’s Wimba session.  I thought it would be a good tool to learn when I begin my Ai-Illustrator instruction.  I also want to explore it for use with organizing my AR literature review.  The download he provided for us worked great and I opened easily.  However, I had difficulty getting started and setting up the layout.  I wanted it blocked left with the weeks in order top to bottom (I could not figure it out-argh!) I will need to explore more, but I was getting frustrated with understanding the parent-->child-->sibling relationship, as well as how to get the spacing right.  I also was not able to import the images, as you may or maynot be able to see a broken .jpg symbol appeared (next to the center houses), so I merged the files with PhotoShop, which I could easily do, when creating assignments for my students as well.  All in all the tool was not as easy to work with as I thought, so I will explore some other mapping tools.  Another class-mate shared another tool in the same Wimba session, a product called Mindmeister, and I may experiment with it and compare the two.  I can see where concept/mind mapping tools are great for organize my course content and listing of projects and assignments.  The sample Camaal provided, showing all our ETC assignments for the month was a great model and gave me another way to communicate important dates and assignments with my students.   

1 comment:

  1. From the example you provided it seems as though all you need to do is set up the relationships under the weeks instead of all the relationships coming from the main idea. What you have started here looks great. If you want to keep using freemind, just click the item you want other items to go under and click on the lightbulb. I will play around with the picture adding as well and keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete