Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wk 2 BP4: Publishing Leadership Project part 1 of 2

Possible conferences to present include: 
  • California Partnership Academy-annual conference (2012 date TBD-State budget restrictions pending)
  • CTE-Career Technical Consortium workshops

La Serna High School will be presenting again at the ICLE conference in Nashville this June 2011. The presentation is  about “best practices” implemented at our high school as school reforms nationwide take place.  As the academy programs grow, I may have the opportunity to present the benefits of online mentors and their role in Career Technical Education in the future, which was the focus of my ARP.

After looking ahead I decided I better get started on thinking about what and how I want to finalize my ARP.  There are so many ways to take the information.  My ARP involved working with 30 high school juniors in an online mentor program.  Our school is part of the California Partnership Academy program, funded by the State of CA as a way to bring Career Technical Education to students.  One of the requirements is to have students at the junior level work with career mentors.  I have worked with a mentor program before, which was difficult to manage face-to-face.  It not only is difficult to micro-manage who, what and where students are meeting with individual mentors; there are liability issues when working with teenagers. One of the services we had an option to contract with was an online organization called I Could Be.org. It is an online service that is based in NY City but reaches a global community.  We contracted their services this year.  Last summer when I began FSO and was faced with the idea of an ARP, I knew it would be a relevant research topic. Not only to analyze the merits of the program but also to see if using mentors makes a difference for teenagers motivation, self-efficacy and career planning.

Every year we attend the CA Partnership Academy conference, and while I’m new to the program, there may be an opportunity for me to present my findings at some date down the road.  I Could Be.org does presentations there as a way to sell their services, but I would like to promote the experience I had with my students this year.  It was an interesting one, as we both were learning how to interact in an LMS, with specific curriculum to master along the way.  The group of students I worked with this year, have received benefits of working with the program, and sharing it with a larger audience has merit. 
Additional conference resources include:
Model School Conference June 2011-Nashville
  • International Center for Leadership in Education
  • International
    Society for Technology Education
    there are local conference
    and workshops
  • CA Partnership affiliation with Career Technical Education Consortium
    (SCC-State Center Consortium)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment