Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 27, 2011

Wk 4 Reading Response: The Art of Possibility Chapter 9-12


freedigitalphotos.n
After reading Joe’s intro to our week 4 “Art of Possibility” assignment I agree with his statement about our Entrepreneurial spirit. I love this book, and feel we should all embrace that entrepreneurial spirit, and especially when working in a large corporate environment the more “interpreneurial” skills we can bring to the table,  the more of a valued employee we become.  This weeks reading speaks to our ability to “light a fire of passion in others”, sometimes a hard thing to do in a work environment and/or working with teens.  The concept of “enrollment” was another way of saying that the more “buy in” you can influence others to become involved in your mission, project etc. the easier it will be to make change.  The quote: “enrollment is the art and passion of generating a spark of possibility for others to share”, gave me pause to consider the meaning as it relates in my own life, to see if I’m enrolling others into my passion, projects, agendas etc.  I remember the days when one of our programs was in the early phases, if I needed to approach my administrator who made purchasing decisions, I always planned days in advance when I could approach them and make my request.  I would make suggestions through others sometimes, that something I was wishing for was of value, paving the way for a favorable response. I suppose I was practicing this idea of “enrollment”, to engage my administration into the possibilities of improvement.  There was another very profound statement, that took me a long time to digest, but I find myself thinking about it more and more. My husband and I are having noise ordinance issues with our neighbors at the moment and we are trying to find a peaceful resolve-the line on p.143 is helping, anyway Zander states that “gracing yourself with responsibility for everything that happens in your life leaves your spirit whole, and leaves you free to choose again.” My husband and I are trying to find a peaceful resolve with our neighbors, and the concepts in this book are helping us.  
freedigitalphotos.net-Thai Chess

The “game board” concept was another very deep chapter, hard to wrap my head around as a different perception of life.  The concept in which life occurs to you is to give yourself the power to transform your experiences of any unwanted condition into one with which you care to live.  Your experience, not necessarily the condition itself, once you transform your experience and see things differently, other changes occur too. (146) Cora’s story describing Zander’s letter about why he deserves an “A” was a very humbling, honest and real experience.  When you are being the “game board” you present no obstacles to others, you are existing as the instrument to make all your relationships into effective partnerships, working as one unit.  Zander gives us the tools to put into practice how to create our own frameworks of possibilities, he gives us the means, and very specific steps about how to achieve anything we want to create in our lives.  An excellent read, I love his use of personal stories, what an amazing man.  This book is one I will recommend for our staff “reading club”.  Our staff leadership group read educational leadership material, usually focusing on one or two a year, we meet, discuss and put into practice much of our reading.  
My “free blog post” this week will be about our current book-Drive by Daniel Pink. Once again an enjoyable read. Thank you for recommending it for us and paying it forward.  
freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment