Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

BP1_GoogleReader

As a newbie beginning my journey with ETC, the 4th course in our EMDT program I’m learning how to create a PLE or Personal Learning Environment, along with learning how to blog and create websites. Learning how to organize and manage this new environment was scary at first, but I’m discovering that it is made easier with Web 2.0 tools available through the Goggle platform.  Google Reader is one of these new tools I am becoming more familiar with. 

GoogleReader helps organize useful sites you visit frequently and helps organize them in a way that eliminates the need to search, because it delivers the content of the sites and their latest information directly to you.  We were asked to identify 5 RSS (real simple syndication) feeds that are used to link frequently updated published works such as blogs and favorite websites one uses and may want to recommend to others as useful sites. 

I found the following tutorials on YouTube to be most helpful with understanding what GoogleReader is and how it is used, along with Blogging help.  

From my collegues I’ve learned more about the following educational sites, and some great ways to use them in the classroom.  I like Michael George’s idea on Friday’s he features a “Big Idea Day” where he shows clips from TED and has a follow-up activity—great idea I’d like to borrow!  More educational sites I plan to explore include:
TED 
·       
My action research will be involving my students participating with an online mentoring program called icouldbe.org, so I will be interacting on a regular basis with their Blog as well. 

Through my Literature Review I’ve discovered additional resources such as eschoolnews, which offers a weekly newsletter, which is easy to sign up for.  They've recently featured a story about the e-mentoring program icouldbe.org, my students will be participating with, which was exciting to read about the positive impact the program is making on young people.


Stay tuned for my journey is just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment